Saturday, July 12, 2008

Blogger's Notes: Nessun dorma

Nessum Dorma or Nessun Dorma in english means none shall sleep.

I first heard this operatic song when it was played in the end part of a movie starring Barbra Streisand & Jeff Bridges, the title of which slips my mind (can't remember the year either). Can you help me on that, please? She was a smart ugly duckling-turned-lovely swan while he was a pretty woman-phobic college professor, or somethin' like that.

Well, on to Nessum Dorma...

Though enchanted by the song I failed to get its title as it was foreign sounding. However, the melody lingered in my senses. After a loooong while, I saw Michael Borton did his own thing on the aria in one of those Academy awards nights. Putting all the possible word combinations together and with the help of the internet -- Eureka!! -- in 2004 , I had in my possession the MP3 of the Nessun from grandi-tenori.com . Mind you, not just any other version but the then difficult to find Jussi Björling rendition. It was recorded from his Swedish radio concert in November of 1944 (! )

I have learned that so many artists had their own take on the Nessun but this one by Björling stands out from all the rest. Well, I have to give my nod to that . I've heard almost all versions available and I'd say I prefer the slower, classier singing style of Björling. But,of course, it's a matter of a personal taste; others would have their own preferences.

In current times, Björling is regarded as one of the century's greatest artists. He had a short career as another opera great, Enrico Caruso, who died at the same age of 49.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that Björling's climaxing high B is the longest stretch done on the Nessun? Any opera fanatic out there?


Related Articles:
Trivia: Turandot & Nessun dorma
Jussi Björling: The Swedish Caruso
Music In Me featuring: JUSSI BJöRLING (Nessun Dorma)


♥♥

No comments: